Definition of safeguarding
WJGS adopts the definition used in the Children Act 2004 and in ‘Working together to safeguard children’. This can be summarised as:
- protecting children from maltreatment
- preventing impairment of children’s health or development
- ensuring that children are growing up in circumstances consistent with the provision of safe and effective care
- taking action to enable all children to have the best outcomes.
Safeguarding is not just about protecting children from deliberate harm. It relates to aspects of school life including:
- pupils’ health and safety
- the use of reasonable force
- meeting the needs of pupils with medical conditions
- providing first aid
- educational visits
- intimate care
- internet or e-safety
- appropriate arrangements to ensure school security, taking into account the local context.
The Safeguarding team
Designated Officer: Mrs Mary Berkeley-Agyepong (HT)
Designated Deputy Officer: Mrs Tamryn Scott Cree (DHT)
PaceUK is an online course for parents if they wish to complete to gain a better understanding of Child Sexual Exploitation.
For more information, go to: http://paceuk.info/training/keep-them-safe/
Download our safeguarding policies via the links below: