Complying with the Public Sector Equality Duty Accessibility plan
The Equality Act 2010 requires us to publish information that demonstrates that we have due regard for the need to:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment, victimisation and any other conduct prohibited by the Equality Act 2010.
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
- Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it.
Winterbourne Junior Girls’ School is an inclusive school where we focus on the well-being and progress of every child and where all members of our community are of equal worth. We believe that the Equality Act provides a framework to support our commitment to valuing diversity, tackling discrimination, promoting equality and fostering good relationships between people. It also ensures that we continue to tackle issues of disadvantage and underachievement of different groups.
Our Equality Objectives
At Winterbourne Junior Girls’ School, we are committed to ensuring equality of education and opportunity for all pupils, staff, parents and carers, irrespective of race, gender, disability, belief, religion or socio-economic background.
Our approach to equality is based on the following key objectives:
1. All learners are of equal value
2. We recognise and respect difference
3. We foster positive attitudes and relationships and a shared sense of cohesion and belonging.
4. We observe good equalities practice in staff recruitment, retention and development.
5. We aim to reduce and remove inequalities and barriers that already exist.
6. We have the highest expectations of all our children.
Our Vision and Values
Our School Values:
We are interested in three kinds of outcomes for our girls:
- Skills—what our students are able to do
- Knowledge—what they know
- Character—the kind of people they become
Our chosen school values help to develop specific desirable characteristics in our girls.
Our School Values are:
- SELF (self-esteem, self-reliance, self-respect)
- TEAM WORK
- HARD WORK
All of our values uphold British Values.
Eliminating discrimination and other conduct that is prohibited by the Act
The information provided here aims to demonstrate that we give careful consideration to equality issues in everything that we do at Winterbourne Junior Girls’ School. ‘Due regard’ ensures that we work towards eliminating discrimination, harassment and victimisation and other conduct that is prohibited by the Equality Act.
We are committed to working for equality for all our staff, parents/carers and children to meet our duties under the Equality Act 2010.
We eliminate discrimination through:
- Adoption of the single Equality Scheme
- Implementing our behaviour policy which ensures that all children feel safe at school and addresses prejudicial bullying
- Reporting, responding to and monitoring all racist incidents
- Regularly monitoring the curriculum to ensure that the curriculum meets the needs of our pupils and that it promotes respect for diversity and challenges negative stereotyping
- Teaching of the highest quality to ensure children reach their potential and all pupils are given equal entitlement to success
- Tracking pupil progress to ensure that all children and groups of children make rapid progress, and intervening when necessary
- Ensuring that all pupils have the opportunity to access extra-curricular provision
- Listening to and monitoring views and experiences of pupils and adults to evaluate the effectiveness of our policies and procedures.
Advancing equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it
We advance equality of opportunity by:
- Using the information we gather to identify underachieving groups or individuals and plan targeted intervention
- Ensuring participation of parents/carers and pupils in school development
- Listening to parents/carers
- Listening to pupils at all times
Fostering good relations across all characteristics – between people who share a protected characteristic and people who do not share it
We foster good relations by:
- Ensuring that Winterbourne Junior Girls’ School is seen as a school for everyone within our local community
- Ensuring that equality and diversity are embedded in the curriculum and in collective worship.